Five to seven servings of fruits and vegetables a day. That is the advised for the average adult should eat a day for a balanced diet. More than 75% of all adults don’t consume this recommended amount, leaving our bodies nutritionally deficient.
So what are we to do? Idyllically, we should try to eat what we need, but life gets in the way. Using green organic superfood supplements can help fill the nutritional gap.
What Exactly is in Green Supplement Powder?
Although each brand has their own custom blend, basically they all have:
- Spirulina – High in protein and vitamin B-12 but watch the quantity in the formula. High levels of spirulina can lead to liver toxicity.
- Chlorella – Contains beta carotene, selenium, zinc, vitamins B-12, C, and E. In addition, it can help the immune system by healing and replacing the tissues in cells.
- Kelp – Rich in iodine, necessary for a healthy thyroid, Kelp also contains fatty acids, fiber, potassium, protein and sodium. Kelp is believed to aid in the prevention of certain types of cancers and is known as a laxative and help remove cellulite.
- Seaweed – High in fiber, seaweed is known to reduce fat digestion and makes you feel fuller, faster. It is full of omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, B-12 and vitamin A.
- Barley Grass – high in fiber and helps lower cholesterol
- Alfalfa – used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for digestive disorders
- Wheat Grass – full of chlorophyll
Why Should I Use Green Supplement Powder?
Most adults do not eat enough fruits and vegetables in their diet. Using Green Supplement Powder, can help improve nutritional deficiencies. Sure, we could take a supplement to give our bodies what we require, but most vitamin supplements made of synthesized isolates. They do have vitamins, but the body absorbs nutrients the best when it comes from food sources. Most of the benefits that could come from multivitamins go down the drain, literally.
Why are fruits and vegetables so important?
The average adult diet contains more protein that fruits and vegetables. This imbalance can create something called low grade acidosis. Low grade acidosis is the buildup of acid in the body. This can lead to problems like: fatigue, inflammation, osteoporosis, dental problems, varicose veins, acid reflux, kidney and gall stones, among other issues. Consuming Green Supplement Powder (or more servings of fruits and vegetables) can bring the pH balance within the body back to a state of equilibrium.
How does this help my training?
When we move, either just going about our daily tasks or working out, we move our muscles. When the muscles contract, acids are produced. The more the muscles move, the more acid is made. Green Supplement Powder can help neutralize the acids and help with recovery.
What kind of Green Supplement Powder should I get?
There are hundreds of different green supplement powders for sale. It is easy to get overloaded with choices. To choose a product that will give you the best benefits, keep in mind the following:
- Brands – only purchase reputable brands since there is little to no Federal regulation of what goes into the powder. Go Greens is a good one to look at.
- Form – Green Supplement can come in powder or in capsules. Depending on your preferences and lifestyle will lead you to powders that can be put into drinks or food or capsules; that make less mess. The only drawback to capsules is they usually require taking multiple pills multiple times a day.
- Medications you are on – Read the label to make sure that there isn’t anything in there that can react to a medication that you are on. Some formulas contain black licorice that will react with certain medications, like insulin, ACE-inhibitors, aspirin, and oral contraceptives to name a few.
Organic supplements can give you many benefits when our diet is not ideal, but should not be used as a replacement, just as a supplement.
Finding ways to increase daily nutrition will help you train better, recover better, live healthier. It is not just for bodybuilders or athletes. We all need balanced nutrition on a daily basis and this is a great way to incorporate foods that we don’t normally eat as well and add variety.
For additional information and help to choose the right Green Supplement Powder for your lifestyle, check out our article on the Best Green Supplements.